Are YOU one of the 42%?
Are YOU one of the 42% of Australias workforce that are SITTING for an average of 6.3 hours per day at WORK? And that doesn’t include the sitting that happens away from work! Do you perhaps Have Sitting Disease?
“Today, our bodies are breaking down from OBESITY, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, DIABETES, CANCER, DEPRESSION and the cascade of health issues that come from what scientists have named SITTING DISEASE” James A. Levine PHD
“For people who sit most of the day, their RISK of HEART ATTACK is about the same as SMOKING” Martha Grogan, Cardiologist
Thx to Mandy Heelan, from SELBIES OFFICE EQUIPMENT, for her presentation yesterday (at KBN South Gold Coast) about the importance of ERGONOMIC / PERSONALISED Office Equipment that is designed to improve productivity by reducing operator fatigue and discomfort.
I don’t know about you, but SITTING for long periods absolutely DESTROYS me, and many of my clients have the same ON GOING PAIN from SITTING at work.
BACK PAIN is the LEADING cause of DISABILITY WORLDWIDE. In Australia, it is the most common LONG-TERM HEALTH CONDITION, reported by Teenagers and young Adults. Back pain and Intervertebral Disc disorders were identified as one of the most SIGNIFICANT work related problems.
To Reduce Discomfort & Increase Productivity:
1) Your chair should be FITTED to suit YOU:
* You should check for a chair rating (How long it is advised you sit on that chair for)
* It should be comfortable
* It should be functional
* Sit in a slightly reclined position
* Keep Moving during periods of whilst (and encourage core activation)
* Have total back support with defined contact in key areas of your back
* Reduce pressure and maintain positioning
2) Your desk station should be ergonomic:
* Fitted for Correct sitting
* Include a Standing option
3) Take Breaks and Get Moving
* A suggested 20-8-2 is recommended. Work for 20 min, stand for 8 minutes and move for 2 min with every 30 min work cycle. Set a timer to remind you.
* Go walking in your lunch hour, or go out for a stretch, yoga or pilates class.
4) Exercise your body
* Include HIIT and strength and conditioning exercise into your week, which will improve your overall core and posture. (Include link to Australian recommend activity blog I did)
5) Have regular massages, along with consults with your Physio, Osteo or Chiro.
It makes sense to manage this NOW! You only have one body, and if you’re suffering now, and have the rest of your life ahead of you STUCK AT A DESK, then identify the issue and get a MANAGEMENT plan ASAP.
Give the family from SELBIES BURLEIGH a call, and let them PERSONALLY FIT YOUR workstation for you.
Tel: 07 55 22 0440
Need an Xray and a Chiro to finally fix an ongoing prob? Heres my lifesaver:
Dr Ryan Pope and how ABOUT Strengthening you body to condition it to FUNCTION without PAIN?
CONTACT Chantal Gerardy 0400107706 for a 15 min consult over the phone.
There is always a way! Lets do this!